Gum health is important when it comes to the overall health of your teeth and mouth. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, nearly half of all American adults suffer from some form of periodontal disease. Fortunately, periodontal treatment can successfully reduce disease-causing bacteria and promote optimal oral health.
What is Gum Disease?
Periodontal disease is characterized by an infection in the gums. It is typically caused by a buildup of plaque and tartar and eventually erodes the bone that supports the teeth.
Individuals with gum disease may notice several troubling symptoms. These can include:
- Bright red or dark purple gums
- Puffy or swollen gums
- Gums that bleed after brushing or flossing
- New gaps or spaces between the teeth
- Persistent bad breath or a bad taste
- Tooth mobility
- Gum recession
- Tenderness when chewing
- Changes in the bite
Though many cases of gum disease are caused by poor oral hygiene, some patients are genetically predisposed to developing the condition. When detected early, gum disease is reversible with regular dental cleanings. However, once the condition has advanced, further treatments are necessary to address the problem. At All American Smile Dental Studios, we offer both surgical and non-surgical periodontal treatments.
Non-surgical Periodontal Treatments
Mild to moderate cases of gum disease can often be addressed with non-surgical periodontal treatments. At our practice, we offer:
- Scaling and root planing: Similar to a routine dental cleaning with the hygienist, scaling and root planing reaches even deeper into the gum line, sweeping away harmful bacteria and debris that have accumulated around the roots of the teeth.
- Tray delivery systems: This method involves custom trays that deliver dentist-prescribed medications. Tray delivery systems may be used as a standalone treatment or in conjunction with other periodontal procedures.
Surgical Periodontal Treatments
Advanced cases of gum disease typically require surgical intervention. Some of the most common surgical periodontal procedures include:
- Flap surgery: During this procedure, the dentist will create incisions in the gums to thoroughly remove all plaque and calculus deposits around the roots of the teeth. In some cases, the supporting bone is also recontoured.
- Bone grafts: This treatment is recommended when gum disease has led to bone loss. To correct the problem, a bone grafting material is added to the damaged area. This promotes natural bone regeneration and helps stabilize the affected tooth.
- Guided tissue regeneration: During this procedure, the surgeon places a membrane between the tooth and the bone. The membrane keeps soft tissue from entering the healing area and promotes proper bone regrowth.
- Gum grafts: When bone loss occurs, the gum tissue follows suit. As a result, gums often pull away from the teeth and expose the roots. To correct this condition, tissue is added to the area of deficiency. This can be completed using the patient’s own tissue or donor tissue.
- Tissue-stimulating proteins: Certain protein-rich gels can be applied to the affected teeth roots to promote bone and tissue regeneration.
Take Charge of Your Oral Health
All American Smile Dental Studios has been serving Manhattan for over 30 years. To learn more about periodontal treatments, schedule your appointment today. Contact us online or call (212) 252-8893.